Thursday, October 11, 2007

White Rose



A White rose from Pats Garden, of unknown variety. This photo made me think of the use of this colour of rose....


The White Rose has been a symbol of Yorkshire since the 14th Century. It became famous in the 15th century with the house of Yorkshire waging a war against the house of Lancashire. Their Emblem being a Lancastrian Red Rose.


This became known afterwards as the War of the Roses...
King Henry the VII ended the War, and Symbolically made the Tudor Rose combining both the Rosa Alba of York, and the Red Rose of Lancaster.
My Wallet has a clue to this, in the shape of a Twenty pence piece with the Traditional English Tudor Rose...
The White Rose is also present on the Leeds United Football Shirt in the Clubs badge. My Grand parents and their family introduced me to Leeds united through gifts of Scarves and Pennents. The First Club you are exposed to is generally what team you follow throughout your life...
I bought the New Leeds Home shirt today online, with the Clubs badge on the left hand side where your heart is. The connection is there between the 15th century battles, the local football club, the Symbolism on the twenty pence, and my photograph from Pats.
I like flowers that have rich historys and stories attached to them. They become more poignant and symbolic. As we look forward we also can look back to where we have been before.
I must buy a white flowered Rose from David Austin when I finally have a house, soon I hope!

No comments: