Friday, October 06, 2006

Fly on proud bird

"A brief candle; both ends burning

An endless mile, a bus wheel turning

A friend to share the lonesome times

A handshake and a sip of wine

So say it loud and let it ring

We are all part of everything

The future, present, and the past

Fly on proud bird

You are free at last"

(Charlie Daniels on the way to his friends funeral)

The poem is for the family Cockatiel who died today. She was a good age, and lived a long and happy life, after Sallyanne rescued her from people who let the kids torment her. She was loud, danced to club music up and down her perches, and loved millett as a treat. The poem is for Sallyanne and Mat, who are upset at the loss. Its funny how pets become companions and friends. Their loss is always heart felt, and the memories of them become vivid.

She is near the house now, where we can remember her. The purple perch with the two love birds is hung above her plot. Next to the Pieris fire mountain.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Condolences on the loss of your cockatiel. The poem is a lovely tribute. I have a cockatiel too, named Gershwin. I've had him for 22 years and he drives me crazy with his screeching, but I know I'll miss him when his time comes.

David (Snappy) said...

Thanks Claire.thats one aged cockatiel you have!She was of unknown age due to several owners.She could screech very loudly when she wanted too.I have known the bird for the past three and a half years.Its funny looking at the empty space where her cage was.We moved it before Mat came back today for weekend...

Philosophical Karen said...

Oh, how sad. I'm sorry your pet is no longer with you to dance to club music and enjoy millet. This is a lovely tribute. Please send my condolences to Sallyanne and Mat. (I know they don't know me, but it's the thought.)

Unknown said...

Oh, that's so tough. Hugs to Sallyanne and Mat, as well as to you. At least you all made her last years good ones... she was happy for that, I'm sure.

Peggy said...

I'm so sorry your bird died. We've had really rotten luck with pets lately too, so I know how hard it is on the young memebers of the family when they go.

David (Snappy) said...

Karen, the thought is very sweet.It is sad when family pets die.I have seen several blogs with pets passed on posts so i thought i would mention it..
Blackswamp girl thats what i said to Sallyanne.The poem was quite fitting too.She will read all the messages later...
Thanks Peggy.I am a RN in a busy acute medical admissions.I have learnt how to deal with death as best as i can.I used that experience to help Sallyanne.Bobby noblins will be missed.That perch with the two love birds keeps jangling outside in the wind.I hear it as soon as i got up.

Lilo said...

My sympathy to you and your family...
Animals are part of the family, and it really hurts when they're gone.

David (Snappy) said...

Thanks Lilo, animals have always been part of my life.From goldfish to rats to hamsters to a dog and cats and of course the Cockatiel.
They teach us i think about responsability, giving love unconditionally, and the joys of being with them.
Its all about life, and living.

lisa said...

Condolences...I have also enjoyed the company of several lovely birdies....parakeets, finches and cockatiels. Probably why I'm hesitent to have more...the loss is tough. Even losses of outdoor visitors upsets me...just have to enjoy the time you HAVE, I guess...