Friday, October 06, 2006

Alaskan Iris


Today I found the seedpods from this plant Iris Setosa, all the way from Eagle River Alaska. I forgot about them. I have a lot of seeds now, the seed pods had gone soft.
I will plant two rows in the herb garden space to see if they grow. The colour looks amazing.
They are a wet loving Iris so we will see if they can stand up to a yorkshire winter!!
They were cultivated in 1972 from the wild and grown in an Alaskan garden. That makes the line of plants older than me (i was born in 1973).
I will track their progress, and send Nancy a nice xmas present. I dont know if she is online yet with her garden blog. Her garden was full of heirloom plants so it will be good when it does come online..
I have sown pansy seeds in plastic boxes, and started some Hollyhock seeds in the containers. Lets see how they grow....
It was rainy again, but the biggest problem was the wind. Its been cleared up, and tidied the garden so not too much rolled around.
The photo I borrowed from a guy with a collection of wet loving Iris plants:
http://home.pacbell.net/kenww/my_iris/water_loving/water_loving.htm
More posts tomorrow. I have some catalogues to peruse now. I have ordered two more last night, and got one today from Ken Muir: http://www.kenmuir.co.uk/
He has some awesome fruit tree's trained up on space saving rootstock, called Minarettes. The fruit all looks soooooooooo tempting....
I emailed about a secondhand greenhouse too as I looked for one last night.An eight foot by six foot one, made with Aluminium frame, and glass...
I read too much about growing vegetables. Everywhere you look is more advice. Swamped by it. Does anybody know any good books that deal with planning, making, and maintaining a health veg garden?
Love to hear from you all.keep on gardening world!

12 comments:

Bob said...

Hi snappy. one of my fav gardening books is called 'The Integrated Garden' which is about Combining Fruit, Herbs and Vegetables with Flowers by A. M. Clevely. You can get it used from this address http://www.amazon.co.uk/Integrated-Garden-Approach-Combining-Vegetables/dp/0712620702/sr=1-6/qid=1160164108/ref=sr_1_6/202-4316510-9606238?ie=UTF8&s=books

David (Snappy) said...

Thanks UK Bob, i have found it on amazon. one will be on its way to me soon..

Unknown said...

I had no idea that iris could be grown from seed! It's a beautiful iris--good luck with it!

David (Snappy) said...

Thanks Claire.Its nice to hear from you.Missed your comments..I dont know how they will do.I guess we will see.When they have grown i thought they would be bulb like..
Onions can be grown from seeds as well as the usual bulbs too..

Anita said...

Hi Snappy,
Oh apparently, you have already orderd a new book on vegetables. One of my favourites is "The new kitchen Garden" by Anna Pavot. Amazon UK offers it for 6.90. (I have the Germany issue).
Me too, I did now know that iris could be grown from seeds. I very much like the one you have.
Oh, you have little pansies! I LOVE pansies and viola cornutas! We went shopping at the nursery yesterday and I bought some new ones: white with a touch of violet. They are so pretty! (I'll post some photos on my blog later on).
Enjoy your week-end!

clairesgarden said...

I'd advise this book for starting off grwoing veggies
http://www.amazon.co.uk/All-New-Square-Foot-Gardening/dp/1591862027/sr=8-1/qid=1160213102/ref=pd_ka_1/202-3458804-1863832?ie=UTF8&s=books
, I got my copy second hand from e-bay. a good thing to do is to get a whole load of books from the library too, and then see which ones you like. Unfortunatley I am of the opinion that you can never have too many books, so I am running out of room!!
I think you'll like growing veggies , its very satisfying, I always grow my onions from seed, you get more choice that way, need to be organised and sow them as soon as you can after christmas and definatley before the end of january.

David (Snappy) said...

Thanks Anita I still need to order the book, but i will check out all the ones reccomended.I need the money for the greenhouse.The Iris is a photo from google images, i have seeds only at the moment!!
Thanks Claire,I will take a look at that book.I guess a trip to the library will be helpful too.I will grow onions from seeds too, need to buy the packets.What onions do you grow?

clairesgarden said...

this year I had Red Baron and White Lisbon, last year I had Yellow Spanish. Red Baron was very good. I like to try different ones every year, I eat them 'as they grow', eating smaller ones early on and lifting them as I need them. I have one friend who refuses to do this and grows BIG onions for storing and using through the winter.

David (Snappy) said...

I will look for those varieties.I want to eat them as they grow.it will be good to have several varieties to choose from..

roybe said...

Thats a beautiful coloured Iris Snappy, best of luck with seeds, it's so rewarding if you can get them to grow.

David (Snappy) said...

Thanks Roybe I dont know if it will grow from seed, the colours on the uploaded pic are great.

lisa said...

"Born in 1973"..? That's cool, Snappy...I was born in 1962, and my son in 1983...you are dead center! Don't you love to have history with your plants? Makes the whole thing seem like a novel...