Thursday, March 22, 2012

Old Rose Discoveries

I was off work today and spent a few hours up at the allotment in the March sunshine.I was too tired to do lots of digging.I have one more shift before I can concentrate on getting the plot ready for planting and sowing.
The longer days have encouraged the Gardens Roses to start growing on really well.From bare stems to leaf covered plants.This photo is of the Lady Emma Hamilton,my oldest Rose bush.I got a review copy of a new book called Women In My Rose Garden by Ann Chapman.She has an extensive collection of Roses in her New Zealand garden the Trinity Farm Living Rose Museum.She thought it would be interesting to see how the Roses were named,and look into the history of some of the women who have had Roses named after them.She has written about thirty five different Roses.The only one I have in the garden is Gertrude Jekyll.There are lots of old Roses,French Roses,and more I have not read about yet.A whole new selection of Roses for me to look for on my travels around garden centres and flower shows.
I love gardening,and books.So combining both is heavenly!The book has beautiful illustrations and text to give a brief biography of the Woman,and a brief growing description of the Rose itself.
If you love Roses try to get a copy.It is published by Hardie Grant.
I will closely follow my Roses this year as they grow and hopefully bloom with masses of scented lovely Roses.

No comments: