Monday, March 19, 2007

Weed in the grass


I was looking at Christa's blog and found her photographs of weeds growing in her garden.
I was stuck that the second photo on her site looked like my pink tubed flowered weed. It was very low to the ground but the pink flowers stand out in the green/brown colour of the grass.
I think it is a Purple Deadnettle ,similar to the Henbit as well. It seem it has travelled from Europe to America.
The original settlers seem to have brought some weeds with them. I remember some weeds were called white mens footsteps.
Weeds are flowers growing in the wrong place.If you can see beauty in them then leave them for a while.

3 comments:

Kerri said...

It was good to 'see' you again David!
I find the weeds very interesting too, and there's certainly beauty in the flowers. You might be interested in the Connecticut Botanical Society link that I posted. It's great for looking up wildflowers/weeds. I'll be posting a pic of Purple Deadnettle in one of my next wildflower posts. It's in the mint family. I think your (Christa's) pic is this. Yes, it's very similar to henbit, just the leaves are a bit different.
The Speedwell is pretty too.
You're keeping your green thumb alive I see :)

David (Snappy) said...

Thanks Kerri,I always find wildflowers beautiful, even when they are called weeds.There is a beauty in the wildness of them, and the spontanaity of them appearing on roadsides, and verges.
I will have to grab some purple deadnettle leaves to see if they smell mint like, or when the leaves are crushed.
My green thumb is still alive, but has been invigorated by the winter move/layoff.Heres to a full growing year, both personally and horticulturally :)

Anonymous said...

As a good friend of mine always says, "Weeds are a plant next to a person with a problem."

This is indeed Purple Deadnettle (Lamium purpureum).