Friday, March 05, 2010

Birthday, Books, and Roses


Its my Birthday today. I have got five cards and two books. Ivington Diaries from Hils, and My Roots, a decade in Gardening from Cat. Both were written by Monty Don.
The photo is of my Spider Plant flower. These plants started me off into the beauty and magic of plants about twelve years ago. Dr Hessayan Houseplant books started my green education about caring for them so they thrive. The passion grew exponentially from a simple Spider plant.
The Spider plant hangs on the light fitting trailing down from a white pot. Last time I had photographed one in flower on the blog, nobody knew that they could flower! This is my second post to prove that they can flower if they are happy. It also has five baby plants hanging down so I should be able to propagate them for family and friends.
The sun is shining outside making the garden look inviting. It is still chilly though in the cold wind. My grasses are dancing around merrily. I hope it warms up soon. Cat got me a gift voucher from David Austin Roses. I must peruse their catalogue to decide which Roses to buy for the new garden once we are moved :)
We are going to see Alice in Wonderland at the cinema later (the Tim Burton film), followed by a Chicken dinner at Nandos. A perfect birthday day of Gardening Books, cinema film, and my most favourite tea.

6 comments:

Miranda Bell said...

Just found your blog via blotanical - Happy Birthday and really enjoy the Ivington Diaries - a lovely book although I'm only part way through it myself having got it for Christmas! Miranda

Kelly Rhoades said...

Happy Birthday! All of your books sound wonderful and I love all of the flower pics you post. I'm hoping to have pics to post of my gardening efforts in the next month! Weather is warming up!

Sue Swift said...

Happy birthday David. I lost almost all my spider plants in the extreme cold this winer. I'm going to have to cosset the four which remain, but I'm sure they'll soon bounce back.

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a lovely birthday treat and enjoyed Alice in Wonderland, I love hearing about what you're doing. Thanks!

Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

Happy Birthday! Hope you had a lovely day.
Weather here is beautiful these last few days, spring seems to have arrived!
Very tired.. I think I might have overdone the gardening today!
I adore David Austin roses, I must have about a dozen of them in my garden. Curious to know which one you will choose, they are all so lush and fragrant.

Unknown said...

Happy birthday to you!!