Monday, July 13, 2009

The Lost Plot

We went to the allotment this morning to try and dig over a little more. The green behind me in the photo is a mixture of grasses, thistles, dock leaves, stinging nettles, bindweed, and a few other species. It was a boiling hot day and i sweated out all the coke I drank.
I am making slow progress at the end closest to the Rhubarb and Globe Artichoke plants. I will go back tomorrow to cut down the tall stuff, dig up the Raspberrys that are buried under weeds, and lay down some black tarpaulin over the ground we do not need. It can be cleared over the course of this year.
The plants I took down are Courgettes, Squash, Pumpkin, and Cabbages. There will also be Leeks to grow on down there.
Still to work out is where a shed can go with water butts, and multiple compost bins. I am generating loads of composting materials.

I founf this beastie asleep under some nettles. It was a white Moth that had little green eyes, and kept lifting its wings and turning them from side to side to catch the updrafts. He has some Condor blood in him. He flew off to sleep in some nettles.
I forgot how tiring it is clearing an allotment plot. The fun is planting, tending, and growing Vegetables. Then the best part is harvesting them and eating them.
I write this with muddy clothes, and aching muscles. I hope the rain stays away tomorrow so I can keep the allotment clearing going.

No comments: