Friday, September 25, 2009

Autumn Changes


The Autumn equinox has passed since I was working the nights. The Trees have begun to change their leave colour and drop them off the branches onto the ground. Reds, Oranges, Yellow, and Browns. An Arboreal technicolour dreamcoat.
The days are getting shorter and there is a chill in the air at night.
I have begun my own retreat from Moscow, with my tender plants going back into the greenhouse before the first frosts in October.
The birds have begun to flock into the garden in the morning. Twenty plus Goldfinches descend onto the feeders and the birdbath. Also I saw today House Sparrows, Blue tits, Blackbirds, and today a skinny Robin..
The Pyrocanthus in the garden has its crimson berrys on it, a feast for the blackbirds.
I need to clear the summer borders. The partys over and the garden needs tidying up and the soil altered ready for next year. I will add my old compost, and the newly rotted compost from my black bin. The Roses will get extra organic matter so they hold onto moisture better.
This is the time to plant the Daffodil and Narcissus Bulbs ready for Spring. The Tulips I bought from the Autumn flower show will go into the ground in October.
I will order some Seed Catalogues ready for perusing during chilly dark nights, flowers and vegetables for next years growing season.
My raised beds need clearing too. It is the season now for Harvest Festivals. I will celebrate mine by making a Carrot and Coriander soup.

2 comments:

Mary Delle LeBeau said...

Your soup sounds wonderful. Yes it is a busy time in the garden. Days are getting shorter quickly.

Sue Swift said...

Oh dear - is it really time already to worry about frosts ....