Thursday, September 14, 2006

Night time reflections

I finally got out into the garden today.I tidied some of the long borders, removing the snapdragons which were tatty and the viola's that were mildewy. The weeds had gone mad in my abscence. Sticky weeds, chick weed with white flowers, creeping buttercups, bindweed, and nettles.
The grass still needs cutting. It rained overnight, and then today it poured again. Thunder storm too. I took a few pics on Sallyanne's phone. Im using her laptop now..
I was sad when i realised my pics could not be uploaded. The disc would not run on the main computer, and this laptop.
The photo's are the best i could manage untill i can get a new laptop to connect the sony erricsson phone.
Maria sent me a reminder to post a photo on the 16th September with a candle and autumn theme. Im still thinking. Expect me to post one photo, but take about twenty to get it right.
The beautiful flowers are the roses under the arched border, beneath masses of pink morning glory blooms. The busy lizzies in the square border look bright compared to the hostas. I have some Anemones bursting from the soil, months after they should have. The Hollandia is photographed with its peacock red eye.
The Monarda is a metre tall now and bursting out of the long border. I love the flower heads which were worth waiting for. Pink and purple crab claws on a wedding cake arrangement. It has been this years biggest suprise for me.
Busy lizzies in small pots and cajun balls of fire have moved indoors. The tomato plants will soon follow to sit in the downstairs toilet window.
The lavender and the white Dahlia are still attracting bee's to their pollen. The Erysimum are flowering still with the delicate yellow flowers.
I got an email from better homes and gardens saying have blue flowers in the garden.Earlier in the year (seems ages ago now) I had forget me nots.
I saw some attractive blue monkshood flowers.Those are now on my wishlist...along with purple coneflower, rudibeckia, some more roses but from David Austin, some honeysuckle, a climbing rose, blackberry bushes...
Sigruns Hollyhock is indoors now after the mouse ate the starter leaves.It has two nice crinkly leaves now.The Amaryllis has moved inside after a slug or snail devoured one of the leaves.
Buggers, but its late in the season.They never have eaten my hostas so i will let them devour the late summer plants.
There is still a lot of flowering even in September.Its not as gloomy as i thought.The compost bin today was hot when i lifted the lid.Its three quarters full.I used a lot of soil for pots so in the winter it will go back to bring my borders up.
I am musing over changes for next year.Bright idea's.Massed planting schemes.More tall plants in the long border.A herb garden, a raised bed for veggies, a half dozen tomato plants, A more cottage garden approach to some of the borders.
Weeding and bending down to the soil was therapeutic after work. I watched extreme makeover home edition about Biloxi, mississippi after hurricane Katrina.Preston built a memorial with a curved garden, granite wall, and glass display case with momentoes that meant something to people. He apprecriated the healing power of a garden.
Sometimes we need a place to retreat into. I have been reading a biography by David Bellamy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Bellamy
He reflected on some woodland retreat with a pond and flowers. He says he returns
there mentally all the time.
If you are lucky enough to have a garden you have that place to retreat, to recharge the batterys, to ponder the mysteries of life and the beauty and variety of nature.

No comments: