Friday, May 11, 2007

Jewel Orchid Leaves

The Jewel orchids holographic leaves have been nicely pictured here.I can imagine them in a dark tropical rainforest.They are sat on a saucer with stones to maintain the humidity around the plant.I dont know why some of the leaves are turning a copper red colour.
I need a wider pot, the white one is deep but narrow.These have a nice habit of growing sideways untill they fall out of the pot.They are easy to propogate.That will be a future project to make many jewel orchids for family and friends.

2 comments:

lisa said...

Love that foliage!

David (Snappy) said...

Me too.I read the leaves have seperate reflective cells in them.If you ever get to see a jewel orchid tilt it from side to side.The surface is like a hologram, as in it changes colour and light reflection as you tilt it.My poor jewel orchid just sighed as i played with its leaves to see the light changing.Its they are very hard to photograph.Velvety holograms!!