Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Day off from work (one)

I was off today from work, it was payday, and there was actually money in the bank.I went out to get some plants but felt too poorly to buy any.I got drenched in a heavy rain shower too on the way back.
I just did not feel motivated to buy any, and my fav plant section was closed for fork lift truck movement or something.
I had been debating how to add to the borders that are incomplete, due to cat damage, drought, plants dying down, and errors in my gardening.
The only parts i like today are the long border (except for a small section), and the arched border.
The other two have negative space, where there should be something.I thought maybe i could buy some fillers.My cold symptoms dampened my enthusiasm.
I moved a geranium from the front window border to the long border near the corner.The mon lam, and that will hopefully fill up the space.The violas are lower than the log roll, so the effect of the flowers is not apparent yet.
I put two viola magnifico seedlings in a pot for Sallyanne.They are purple with yellow/white eyes at the centre.
It was a rain effected day, so i cooked for Sallyanne.Chicken and vegetable korma, with small home made chapati's, a chicken stock, and for the first time in years some homemade scones.
I last made them for Mrs England (from Wales of all places) in Home Ec, which bar english was my straight A subject.
I dont cook often as Sallyanne loves doing the family meals.The exception being Xmas which i love to do...
What i need is more homegrown ingredients.I have four surviving tomato plant seedlings from the fourteen!!
I read about homegrown carrots todayhttp://alamedagarden.blogspot.com/2006/06/my-first-carrot.html)
Go Claire.I love the joy of seeing homegrown veg, esp if it is cooked then displayed.
Honourable mention to Steven who astounds me with his variety of crops and the ingenuity in using them as ingredients in predominantly italian style food.
http://dirtsunrain.blogspot.com/2006/06/by-popular-demand-roasted-beets-with.html
Its interesting how garden blogs can cross over to other subjects, and get comments too.I love reading about peoples lives, and interests different from mine.
Stuart is a garden writer from Australia with a knack for riling people up.He has started several heated debates.The last one i commented on was about the lack of debate amongst garden blogs.I felt the replies i read actually villified him slightly.
I like his posts, and weekly polls. We disagreed about garden gnomes, but he acknowledges that each to their own.
Here is his latest post: http://www.gardening4dummies.com/2006/06/building_an_outdoor_bird_aviary.html
Keep it up Stuart, even Amy Stewart replied to you so you know you sent waves from your original post.Not many posts stir debate like yours.Long may you do so, the blogosphere is richer for your posts.
Brit Arnhild posted a lovely rose pic, above her married for 26 years post.I wish her another 26 years of happiness: http://brittarnhildshouseinthewoods.typepad.com/brittarnhilds_house_in_th/2006/06/married_for_26_.html
Hanna made me laugh with her attempts to photograph a raindrop splashing during a rain storm.As someone who crawls along the garden, and has a camera with me daily i appreciate her madness for a perfect shot
http://www.thisgardenisillegal.com/2006/06/another-failed-attempt-to-freeze.html
A beautiful pic of the Royal wedding poppy with white petals, and black insides.Its good to see Daisy posting after her recent sadness: http://catsinthekitchenflorainthegarden.blogspot.com/2006/06/where-spirit-doesnot-work-with-hand.html
Thats a few posts i looked at.I have fourty odd blogs which i peruse daily.Like a compact garden magasine made by normal gardeners of their own patches of Eden.
May all your gardens grow, and help relax you through good times and bad times.

3 comments:

roybe said...

Sorry to hear you've been sick snappy, I suppose working in a hospital it's easy to pick these things up. If ever you and your wife are thinking of escaping to Australia for a few years, medical staff is in high demand particularly in Qeensland where as the tourist bureau says it's "Beautiful one day, perfect the next"

David (Snappy) said...

thanks Roy.Once our family have grown up into their own lifes i will consider working in Australia.I spent a year there which was really cool working in Sydney, rural victoria, and Tully in QLD.Nice quote for the state.

roybe said...

That sounds like a good mix of places to visit and work. We've never been to Tully, but I understand they have the highest rainfall in Australia, something like three metres I think.