Sunday, August 26, 2007

Painting with Flowers

A series of photos from the Main Borders at Harlow Carr.As I photographed the flowers I noticed drifts of colour...from single colours to mixture of colours. Heres a Secret place set back from the main Border not visible walking down it towards the Streamside..

Tall grasses catch the sunlight with small Verbenas, and the Alium seedheads..

The bright orange like flaming sunshine, think they are Gazanias?

The garden soil is the Canvas. When its dug over, and organic matter added you have a blank canvas ready for your colours..

The Blue Echinops and red coloured Echinacea's appeal to me here..

Frans Favourite Red/orangey Achillea and the Blue flowers...

The Golden Rudbeckia Is mass planted for a bright yellow border. Planting a single block of colour contrasts to the drifts of the other planting.
If the Soil is the Canvas, and the flowers are the paint applied to the Canvas does this mean that Gardeners are artists?
It is a constantly changing painting, with weather, seasons, weeds, and bugs effecting the natural artwork.
I think they did a good job of the main borders.They looked good even in August.

11 comments:

Andrea's Garden said...

hi, came to your blog via Midwest Gardener. Great pictures of beatiful garden! I believe a gardener is an artist. He uses his skills to combine the right colours, matches plants, keeping the various seasons in mind.I have a friend who is an artist as well and she does it just like that. Great post! Enjoyed that. Greetings from Germany, Andrea

Unknown said...

Very cool! I like the combinations, and I really adore the columns folly in the previous post, too.

clairesgarden said...

great photographs, Harlow Carr looks well worth a visit. beautiful!

David (Snappy) said...

Hi Andrea, thanks for your kind words.I saw your Raven and Swedish birdhouse on your blog.I do think gardening is an Art...
Hi Blackswamp girl.I loved the fact I found a photo of the Cheltenham Spa rooms with the columns and two lions on it.It has a link with me (my hometown) between Harrogate and Cheltenham.Both with Spa waters..
Hey Claire,If you are ever down in Yorkshire Harlow Carr is a great day out.More flowers, plants, and trees than you can take in.I love visiting it :)

Bob said...

Snappy, Just came across your blog through Midwest Gardening. I really enjoy your photos and will be back. The orange rust flowers are Helenium. It's a wonderful plant. I'll be posting about it in a week or so. Hope you'll stop by, All the best, BOB

David (Snappy) said...

Thanks Bob for identifying the Helenium.They were beautiful colours, so vibrant in the sun.will stop by your blog again to catch up on your posts>

Kerri said...

Harlow Carr certainly is a beautiful place. No wonder you keep going back!
Lovely photos. You're giving that new camera a workout!
Especially love the Helenium photo.
My coneflowers are blooming beautifully. They continue to bloom for a long time....I love a flower that gives and gives :)

David (Snappy) said...

Thanks Kerri,I love the Harlow Carr gardens and the camera is certainly being tested.I guess i have taken 1000 photos over four trips out!
The Heleniums are cool flowers... gotta love the coneflowers.They are beautiful :)

Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

Gardeners are definately artists!
I adore rudbeckia, yellow is probably my favorite flower color. And they have such lovely soft fuzzy leaves too.

Whyite said...

Every year has indifferent looks in the gardens. Great photo's

David (Snappy) said...

Thanks Salix tree, i love them too Rudbeckias!
Curtis thats the joy of gardening, each year is different, and the changes from year to year enthrall us.