Saturday, December 17, 2011

Xmas Spirit


There is only a week until Xmas.The tree is up,the decorations are hung up,and the presents have been bought and wrapped up underneath.I had to order this Harrods bear to sit on the fireplace.We were not able to get to London.The bear has become an Xmas tradition.

Certain plants have been associated with Christmas like Fir Trees,Wreaths,Holly with red Berry's, and Mistletoe.Asda have been selling the Poinsettias with their red and green.These are the colours of Christmas.We have the wreath on the front door,and the decorated Xmas Tree.
I have been baking and cooking when the weather has been cold.Butterfly Buns,Millionaires shortbread,and choc chip n pecan cookies.Comfort food is good,along with good gardening books or magazines.The short days mean the end of the year and reflections.
The new year will see the decking ripped out,and a new conservatory put up.The garden will be revamped.The sunken border will be even deeper than it is now.I have to decide to which plants to save.They will be dug up and potted up for saving.
I ordered a Mushroom growing kit from Suttons which is now sat on the dining room table.I hope it grows some edible mushrooms for me to cook with.
The new year means new resolutions,and plans.I need to dig over the allotment and plan next years growing season.I want to try more plants in the garden,and to continue to attract wildlife.
I love Xmas as much as gardening.

No comments: